If you have signed up for CareerFest you must be interested in getting an internship or job, and we want to help make that possible! As you know, the event is Friday, February 3, and the time to prepare is getting shorter, so we have provided a checklist of some steps you should take to put your best foot forward!
1. Have your resume checked and printed. It’s a great idea to stop by our office so that we can take a look at your resume to make sure it is flawless. After we have done that, for 10 cents a piece, we will print off copies on our resume paper (this makes a difference!). We’ll be printing a lot of resumes in the next week, so to avoid stress and potential printing difficulties, don’t wait until the last minute to come to our office and do this!
2. Pick out your business attire. This is another task that you don’t want to wait to do until the day of the CareerFest; picking out an outfit can be a bigger task than you think! As part of putting your best foot forward and making a good impression, you absolutely have to look the part.
3. Make a game plan. Having a plan of action for CareerFest is not only a good strategy to make the most of your time, but it will also help to calm your nerves. Make sure you check out the booklet that was sent out about each employer so that you know what positions they are looking to fill. For the companies/organizations that you are planning to talk to, do your research! Employers will take you more seriously if you know some basic information about them, and it makes you much more appealing compared to others who don’t.
4. Practice what you’re going to say. Speaking with employers can be intimidating, but knowing what to say and practicing will help you be more confident. It’s vital that you have practiced not only your 15-20 second “elevator pitch”, but also that you have practiced how you will answer some employer’s questions. Also-prepare what questions you want to ask and try to make them specific to that employer.
5. Be sure to follow up. Since you were sure to get a business card from every employer you spoke to, within the week after CareerFest send a simple thank you e-mail. It can be a very short e-mail thanking the employer for taking time to speak with you, mentioning something you discussed, and letting them know you’re still interested. Many people don’t do this, so if you do, you are sure to stand out!
If you have any questions or concerns regarding CareerFest, get your answers sooner than later and stop by Career Development. We can also answer your questions by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone: (614) 236-6606.
For more resources on how to conquer CareerFest check out these links: